Thursday 15 August 2013

Fond of the Fed.

All the way back in my first post (this one) I mentioned my cousins Fed 5, and how it sparked my love for film photography and further strengthened my love for photography. Well this year I had my go at shooting with it, and it was a exciting experience.

I had a lot more control over my photos with it than with the Smena 8M. The Fed 5 brought me additional features that made it easier to get great looking photos. Such features are a light meter (which wasn't working well do to the age of the camera), a good focusing ring which showed if the photos are focused through the view finder. Also a much better depth of field regulator and an excellent way of finding out what shutter speed to set based on light and the depth of field. Unlike the Smena, the Fed also shows how many shots you have left on your film quiet accurately, this was extremely useful. There were downsides to this camera as well, for example the weight of it. It is much bigger than the Smena, and the body of it is made from metal whereas the Smena is made mainly from plastic. Another downside is the difficulty of taking double exposures. I love making multiple exposures in one photo and having to rewind the film to get a double exposure takes a long time and that doesn't guarantee that it will be aligned. I suppose you have to make sacrifices for better quality.

Unfortunately I do not have photos of my Fed 5 at the moment and I cannot take any because I'm in London and I didn't bring it with me. I suggest you look it up online if you want read more about it. My camera is quiet battered with dents on the lens and paint scraping off. I'm considering re-painting it and giving it a personal touch.

Shooting with it was so great, I was confident that all of my shots were in focus, I couldn't guarantee that when shooting with the Smena. These photos were taken in Ireland, printed and then scanned. 










The Fed 5 captures beautiful bokeh as seen in this image.















 I will be taking black & white and colour photos with the Smena 8M during my time in London, hopefully I will have something posted soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos! following <3

    http://simplepromise-simplepromise.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete